When Should You Not Eat Clams?

Clams are a delicious seafood item. However, it is important to know when not to consume clams to prevent shellfish poisoning, which may result in vomiting and diarrhea.

Fresh clams open slightly when they’re touched, then quickly close upon tapping them; any that remain closed are considered dead and should not be consumed.

Table of Contents


Clams often get a bad rep for being tough to prepare and messy to use, but fresh, properly prepared clams can actually be delicious and straightforward to cook!

To assess whether a clam is fresh, tap or touch its shell or siphon and see if it moves. Also, it should not smell fishy; rather it should have a clean briny aroma that mimics ocean air and salty air. A closed shell or one that does not open in response to tapping indicates deadness and should be discarded immediately.

As soon as clams have been purchased and before cooking them for dinner, it is crucial that they be thoroughly examined. Mollusks such as clams can release toxic waste into their water and flesh when they die; when consumed by humans this contaminated seafood may result in nausea or diarrhea symptoms.

Not only should one inspect a clam’s movement and aroma, but it’s equally essential to examine its meat color. A healthy clam’s flesh should range in color from off-white to pale pink; firm to touch and off-white in tone. Any brownish-black hued meat must be discarded immediately as this indicates that it may contain harmful contaminants that could potentially poisonous to human health.

If you plan on keeping the clams for later consumption, store them in a bowl of cold, salted water in the refrigerator. Make sure not to seal or cover them; they need air circulation in order to be healthy. They should stay safe up to two days in there!

As it can suffocate them and cause them to die before being cooked, clams should never be stored in tight-closure containers such as plastic bags. When transporting or storing fresh clams, they should always be placed in a large container with plenty of room – this applies especially when carrying hard-shelled varieties which may require special tools to shuck. Therefore, freezing hard shelled varieties for 15-20 minutes before trying to shuck can relax muscles and increase chances of successfully inserting your knife inside their shell!


Clams are an ideal seafood choice for adding omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals into one’s diet. Plus they’re low in calories and fat. Unfortunately, raw clams contain harmful bacteria that may lead to food poisoning symptoms including nausea, vomiting and diarrhea; further consumption could lead to serious illness including liver or kidney failure if uncooked before consumption. In order to mitigate any such risks it is wise to fully cook all clams prior to consumption.

Shellfish such as clams and oysters contain bacteria, viruses, and other contaminants through their gill systems that may pose threats to human health – this includes bacteria that cause cholera and gastroenteritis as well as Hepatitis A virus infection and paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP). To minimize risk, it is wise to consume only fresh or cooked clams from reliable sources. To minimize potential issues with consumption of cooked fresh clams.

To ensure a clam is safe to consume, it should be firm with a clean sea-like aroma and have a closed shell; any cracked or broken ones should be discarded immediately. Furthermore, before cooking them it’s essential that they be thoroughly cleaned; either using cold water to rinse under, then scrub using a brush to remove dirt or debris before soaking them in salty water for 20 minutes; either way killing off any harmful bacteria is ideal.

If a clam is dead, it will have an unpleasant sour or fishy odor and be soft to the touch, possibly with discolorations or slimy coating. If in doubt about its status as deceased, tap it against a hard surface to check for dull sounds; otherwise discard immediately.

Clams are delicious steamed or added to other dishes and offer many nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids and B12 vitamin. Clams may help improve heart health while decreasing diabetes risk and cancer risks; however, those with allergies should exercise caution as clams could contain allergens that could compromise their wellbeing.


Clams are invertebrate animals without backbones that provide a great source of protein, calcium and iron, making them a delicious seafood choice. Unfortunately, eating raw clams may expose consumers to vibrio parahaemolyticus bacteria which cause shellfish poisoning resulting in symptoms including vomiting, diarrhea, headaches nausea even death in extreme cases. It may happen through breathing in polluted water directly contaminating shellfish itself, direct contact or consumption of raw or undercooked shellfish products.

Cooking can kill viruses and bacteria present in clams, but does not deactivate Vibrio parahaemolyticus bacteria found in fresh and frozen clams and mussels. Furthermore, heat exposure during the cooking process may cause them to disintegrate into mushy watery forms; to avoid such issues it’s best to buy fresh clams only; never consume closed or non-opening ones after being cooked!

Fresh clams should be slightly opened, and should close if gently tapped with their shell. If they close when you tap them with the shell or don’t open at all when tapped they are likely dead and should be discarded immediately as these may smell fishy as well as have holes or gaps in their shells.

Before cooking clams, they should be scrubbed clean using a scrub brush and rinsed in cold water to eliminate any grit or sand from their shells. After this step is completed, they should then be immersed in salty water for at least one to several hours; this helps release pervasive grit from their bodies that would otherwise stick to their meat inside.

Live clams should emit an ocean-like fragrance; dead ones have a fishy aroma and may appear discolored. Avoid cracked, chipped, broken clams as well as those with gaps in their shells if buying live ones for sale at your local seafood market. Also be wary of any that appear dead upon tapping; dispose of these promptly!


Shellfish have a habit of collecting bacteria, viruses and toxins from the water they inhabit; these organisms can make people ill if eaten raw – particularly when consumed raw by those susceptible to Hepatitis A or Norovirus infection. If this occurs to you when eating raw clams for example, symptoms could include vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain as well as even neurological illness or even death in rare instances.

Cooking clams before eating them is always the safest method, but if this isn’t possible they can still be safely consumed if some precautions are taken. When purchasing fresh clams look for ones with intact shells without cracks or damage; fresh ones will open when tapped briefly but quickly close again when released; dead ones have an unpleasant fishy aroma and do not open or close when touched, as well as having darker colors than fresh clams.

Red tide events see large blooms of harmful algal growth accumulate along coastal regions and release toxins that become concentrated in oysters, clams and mussels – this makes it vital to refrain from eating shellfish from untested Alaska beaches, particularly butter clams and blue mussels (buttleneck clams usually don’t reach high toxicity levels), during these times. Littleneck clams should also be avoided in such circumstances.

Consuming clams can also expose consumers to saxitoxin, which causes paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP). PSP is a rare but severe foodborne illness caused by ingestion of toxic dinoflagellates found in shellfish such as clams and mussels that consume toxic dinoflagellates containing dinoflagellates – these toxic dinoflagellates affect the nervous system causing symptoms within 30 minutes that range from mouth, nose and throat tingling that rapidly spreads to fingers, lips and toes followed by nausea vomiting before eventually paralysis of all limbs limbs occurs – it all comes together!

If you experience these symptoms, seek medical help immediately. As well as seeking symptomatic treatments, drinking plenty of liquids to replace lost fluids is also highly advised.