How Much Does it Cost to Change Your Name at the DMV?

If you are changing your name at the dmv, it is important to know how much it will cost and what requirements you must meet. The Department of Motor Vehicles, known as the DMV in most states, handles many tasks related to vehicles including issuing driver’s licenses and ID cards, keeping driving records, tracking odometer information, processing title transfers and more.

There are several fees associated with changing your name at the DMV. The most common is the fee to change your name on your driver’s license. To change your name on your license, you must present a court order or other official document that shows your new name. The DMV will then issue you a new driver’s license with your name on it.

You must also report your name change to the Social Security Administration (SSA). To do this, you can complete a form found at your local SSA office. When reporting your name change to the SSA, you must have two sources of proof that show your new name. These can be documents such as a court order, marriage certificate or birth certificate with a raised seal.

When submitting your documents, it is best to bring the originals and not copies. Photocopies will not be accepted. If the original document is not in English, you must provide a certified English translation.

You may change your name at the DMV by visiting a branch location in person. To avoid lengthy wait times, try to visit the DMV early in the morning or during the week. You can also request a name change appointment online or by calling the DMV directly.

If you want to change your name on your driver’s License, Non-Driver Identification Card and/or vehicle registration and/or title, you must present the following documentation:

A certified copy of a court order that shows your new name. This includes divorce decrees and adoption orders.

An original or certified copy of your State issued birth certificate with a raised seal.

A Connecticut driver’s license or non-driver ID card that displays your current address. If the address on your CT driver’s license or non-driver identification card does not match the one on your vehicle registration, you must present a completed Affidavit for Change of Address (Form B-301) as well as the required documents listed above.