How Do You Treat Mold Sickness?
When you’re exposed to mold, you might experience a variety of symptoms. These symptoms can be difficult to identify and treat, so it’s important to speak with a doctor about your symptoms.
Symptoms related to mold sickness may be similar to those of other inflammatory illnesses, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, and chronic fatigue syndrome. In some cases, mold exposure can cause a more serious illness, such as mycotoxicity or chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS).
Diagnosis of these illnesses requires medical history and specialized testing to pinpoint the exact source of the problem. A doctor can also perform tests to see if you have an allergy to mold and to check your immune system’s reaction to it.
Tests for mold allergies include a skin prick test to detect allergic reactions to different types of mold and blood tests to check for immune system responses to specific types of mold. In some cases, doctors can prescribe immunotherapy (allergy shots), which can be effective for many people with mold allergies.
Other treatments for symptoms related to mold exposure involve over-the-counter nasal corticosteroids and antihistamines. These medications work by reducing airway inflammation and suppressing allergy reactions. Alternatively, your doctor can prescribe decongestants to reduce swelling caused by your allergic reactions to mold.
You should also rinse your nasal passages with a solution of warm, distilled water and saline to remove excess mold spores. If your symptoms persist, you should talk with a physician about more permanent solutions such as nasal polysalazine sprays or oral steroid medication.
Inhaled mold spores can trigger asthma in people with a history of allergies or who have pre-existing respiratory conditions, such as COPD. These symptoms usually appear 2 to 9 hours after exposure and may last for a few days.
If you’re experiencing a severe case of mold-induced asthma, you should contact your doctor immediately. The condition is dangerous and can cause life-threatening respiratory issues in some people.
Symptoms of mold-induced asthma include shortness of breath and wheezing, especially when you inhale spores into your lungs. Other symptoms include coughing and weight loss, which can be more severe in people with existing respiratory problems.
A mold fungus infection can also cause symptoms, such as a rash or itchy eyes and throat. The symptoms of this condition are similar to those of an allergy, but the mold spores can spread quickly through the body and into the bloodstream, where they can cause further inflammation.
To prevent mold spores from getting into the body, keep your indoor humidity level below 50 percent and clean damp areas as often as possible. You should also fix any leaks or ducts that allow moisture into the home. If you live in a home that has a lot of mold, it’s best to have it professionally cleaned and dried.
As with any illness, the cause of mold sickness is different for every person. The length of exposure, the type of mold, and your body’s natural detox process all play a role in how long you will struggle with symptoms. In some cases, the symptoms subside after a few days, but others take longer to fade away.