How Do You Clean Old Moldy Dishes?

Mold can be toxic to human health and should never be eaten directly, as ingestion of mold spores may lead to respiratory issues and even more serious conditions such as cancer. Therefore, when any signs of mold appear, be sure to thoroughly wash all dishes using warm, soapy water before placing back into use.

To do this, fill your sink with hot water and add dishwashing liquid or white vinegar/bleach solution. These will all help kill off mold spores.

Table of Contents

Hot Water

Moldy dishes are more than an eyesore; they contain bacteria that could be hazardous to your health. Mold spores can produce air pollutants which cause breathing issues such as nasal stuffiness and wheezing as well as more serious respiratory conditions like lung infections if left unchecked, so regular cleanup of these moldy plates should be a top priority.

Hot water is an effective way to clean dishes, killing off bacteria spores and leaving your plates ready for reuse. However, if they’re made of porous materials like clay, wood or Styrofoam that require other approaches for effective cleansing.

Before beginning to clean your dishes, ensure you have all of the required supplies on hand. First of all, plenty of clean water – either hot or cold depending on the temperature in your home – along with cleaning supplies like baking soda, dish soap, vinegar and scouring sponges will come in handy. In addition, be sure to have an adequate container to put all your dirty plates and an empty garbage bag to dispose any potentially contaminated items.

Next, ensure your safety by donning a mask and gloves. Next, put any porous objects that cannot be thoroughly cleaned into a rubbish bag before starting on cleaning the remainder. Start by brushing away as much mold from dishes with soft-bristled brushes. Half fill your sink with hot water mixed with dish soap, leaving moldy dishes in this solution for about thirty minutes so as to help break down tough bits of mold that remain.

Once your dishes have soaked, take them out and use a scouring pad with baking soda if necessary to scrub. Next, rinse them off with fresh, clean water before leaving them to dry before placing back into your cupboard. If any questions arise about cleaning dishes effectively feel free to reach out –

Dish Soap

Whenever browsing DIY cleaning recipes online, chances are you’ve encountered ones calling for dish soap as an ingredient. Dish soap provides an effective cleaning solution, perfect for everything from post-meal cleanup to eliminating grease stains from clothing and killing mold on surfaces like dishes and countertops.

Good quality plant-based dish soap is an easy and effective solution for moldy dishes, offering easy use without harsh antibacterial chemicals such as phosphates. Method makes an eco-friendly plant-based formula which is gentle on both your skin and environment; additionally it comes in an ergonomic bottle with pump creating rich foam. Finally, its formula will even work overnight to kill off fungus and germs on dishes!

Moldy dishes can be unsightly and unsanitary, so if you intend on reusing them it’s essential that any mold spores be killed off and thoroughly cleaned away before eating from them again. Mold spores are dangerous to human health and may lead to symptoms like coughing, nasal congestion, wheezing and even more serious conditions like lung infections.

Vinegar is one of the best ways to eliminate mold on dishes and surfaces. Being acidic, it easily dismantles mold spores. Pour white distilled vinegar into a tub and allow your dishes to soak for around an hour; after which time rinse and scrub them using a soft bristled brush until all mold has been removed from them.

Alternatively, boiling your dishes may also be effective at killing mold. This method may be particularly helpful if your problem is more urgent; it usually only takes around half an hour. Please be aware that this solution may not work with porous materials such as clay, wood and Styrofoam dishes. It is also wise to separate breakable metal dishes when boiling.


As an acid, vinegar possesses antifungal properties that can effectively eliminate mildew and mold growth on dishes. Mix equal parts white vinegar and water into a spray bottle and apply this solution directly onto them, leaving for 10-15 minutes before applying a scrub brush or sponge and rinsing thoroughly before drying before storage.

Moldy dishes can be both unappetizing and harmful to your health. Mold spores have been known to trigger allergic reactions in some people including nasal stuffiness, wheezing, and in extreme cases lung infections. If your dishes contain mold growths you should immediately wash them out to protect yourself and reduce further spreading of spores.

Before beginning to clean dishes, ensure that you have all of the required supplies on hand. These may include hot and cold water supplies as well as paper towels, rubbish bags and some scouring sponges for use when needed. A mask and protective gloves may also come in handy. Whenever possible, opening windows helps ventilate the room more effectively.

Vinegar can be used on its own or combined with other household cleaners to clean dishes effectively. Or you could try making a solution of equal parts baking soda and water that will disinfect and deodorize dishes effectively, eliminating odors as you clean.

Boiling dishes in hot water can also be an effective method, providing safe solution for most items made of porous materials like clay, wood or Styrofoam. When utilizing this solution make sure they’re placed inside a plastic or metal container so as to not leak into your kitchen and spread contamination.

If your dishes are too large to wash by hand, try using a dishwasher instead. Prior to loading them into the machine, first disinfect its interior by spreading one cup of baking soda on the bottom dish rack and closing its door before running a regular cycle with hot water and using regular settings on your regular cycle program. Rinse and dry all your dishes afterward to help prevent mold growth in future cycles.


Those battling moldy dishes who cannot remove it with hot soapy water alone should turn to bleach as a last resort for cleaning purposes. As it’s an aggressive chemical solution, using it should only be done as a last resort; make sure you open a window for ventilation before applying bleach solution and wear rubber gloves, eye protection and a mask as chlorine gas may be produced when bleach and water mix together, leading to symptoms ranging from sore throats to lung infections.

Before using bleach, it’s essential that as much mold is eliminated as possible. Start by wiping down dishes with paper towels and disposing them in trash bags – this helps stop mold spores spreading during clean up processes. Open windows to provide ventilation as these chemicals can be strong. Furthermore, wear old clothes in case splashes of bleach solution land on them accidentally.

Prepare the bleach solution by filling a sink basin with hot water and mixing in 1 cup of white distilled vinegar. Soak your dishes for at least 30 minutes in this mixture in order to loosen any hardened dirt and begin killing mold spores, before thoroughly rinsing with clean water to eliminate any leftover bleach solution or dirt particles.

Once your dishes have been thoroughly washed, rinse them under cold running water to eliminate any remaining chemicals from your cleaning solution and allow them to air-dry on a towel or plate before placing back into your dishwasher – moldy plates could contaminate it all and compromise its operation!

Bleach can be used to clean an array of items, from plastic and glass containers to wood products and toys. It will kill most types of mold spores, making it useful for tub and tile surfaces as well as dishes made of non-porous materials – however it will not kill mold growing on porous surfaces, and should therefore be avoided as much as possible.