How Do You Change Your Name After Marriage in CT?

Your marriage certificate is the key to updating your name across various institutions. Once that step has been taken, the next step should be updating your Social Security card by taking an original or certified copy of the marriage certificate to an SSA office for updating purposes.

SSA can change your name within 48 hours of receiving all required documents, making the next step updating driver’s licenses and other identification documents.

Legal Name Change

If you live in Connecticut and wish to change your name following marriage, filing a petition with a court is required. This can be done either at probate or superior court levels in each county and it’s essential that documents are complete prior to filing the petition. A fee may also be assessed; if this fee cannot be afforded then waiver may be available; proof of income and residency is also necessary in these instances.

Even if both you and your spouse reside in another state, if both agree, then a change of name after marriage in Connecticut is still possible provided both parties sign off on it. When applying for your new name change application in CT, a copy of your marriage license from where you were married should serve as proof.

As soon as your name changes, it is essential that all federal and state government agencies be informed. This may include notifying the Social Security Administration, voter registrar and your employer. Furthermore, your bank information needs to be changed accordingly: transaction cards (credit, debit), investment accounts and checkbooks should all be updated accordingly. Many banks will accept certified copies of your marriage certificate as proof; others require you to visit in person or submit a name change form online for them.

Once you’ve decided on your new name, it’s important to begin updating personal and business records accordingly. An efficient way of doing this is visiting a DMV full service branch office with your driver’s license, proof of identity documents and certified copy of divorce decree or marriage certificate in hand – this way your new name will appear on both documents!

The DMV offers you another solution for changing your name on documents like passports and green cards: forms to fill out can be found online at their website, or from clerks for assistance; passport agencies also have forms you’ll need; to do this you will need valid proof of identification such as driver’s licenses/ID cards along with a fee to change it on documents like these.

Social Security

No matter who manages it, postwedding name changes in Connecticut require various legal and administrative documents. First and foremost is getting your marriage certificate from the municipality where your ceremony took place (or possibly even with court approval, which we’ll talk more about later on) in order to legally change your name across the board.

As soon as your name change has taken effect, the Social Security Administration should be the first government office you contact with it. Download an SS-5 form (available here), complete it, and submit it with copies of your marriage certificate, Connecticut driver’s license or U.S. passport proving your name change. When your application has been processed successfully, a replacement SS card with your new name will be issued.

At your bank, it’s also advisable to change your name. Banking information is highly confidential; for this reason, banks require legal proof that their customer has changed names before updating any accounts containing their data; this may involve credit/debit cards/checking accounts/other forms of accounts and more depending on which financial institution it comes from. Depending on its requirements this could require either written confirmation of change or an in-person visit by their representatives.

Once your name has been updated with the Social Security Administration (SSA), it’s time to notify state and federal agencies. Bring your SSA card, original or certified copy of your name change document (marriage certificate or court order), current photo ID card, and an original or certified copy to a DMV full service branch office for processing.

Your next step should be filling out Connecticut name change forms, which you can obtain either locally at your probate court or online. Complete all the forms correctly and sign with a notary witnessing your signature – Connecticut recognizes male, female and non-binary gender markers so make sure all relevant ones are listed when documenting gender markers. If you need assistance changing your name legally contact a probate attorney. You may even qualify for free legal aid through local agencies based on income or residency criteria – before making this step.

Driver’s License

Change after marriage can be an exciting part of your new life, but there are important legal ramifications you must be mindful of before finalizing this process. There are various steps required to legally change your name and make it official such as notifying employers, the Social Security Administration and other government entities as well as updating drivers licenses, passports and personal records with your new name.

Adults may legally change their names through marriage, divorce, annulment of a previous marriage annulment, becoming United States citizens or adopting. Connecticut adults can also change their names legally through filing a petition in Probate Court; to change yours will require filling out a form with two forms of identification and paying the filing fee; at this hearing the court will verify your identity and review your petition before issuing an official court name change decree if approved by them.

When changing your name, it is also essential that you inform banks and any other financial institutions holding your personal data of this change. Banks typically store credit/debit transaction cards and checkbooks that should be updated to reflect your new identity; some banks may even require you to visit them personally before updating accounts.

Ideally, when traveling abroad it’s essential that all documents match up with each other, such as your drivers license and passport. A certified copy of your name change certificate could also come in handy; some Town Clerk offices have been adding Social Security numbers on certified copies of marriage licenses which could pose problems when trying to submit them with government agencies for processing.

When changing from maiden name to married name, be sure to notify the IRS as well. Either visit your local IRS full-service branch office or mail in a completed Form 8822 with proof of your new status as well as certified copy of your marriage certificate.


Like most states, Connecticut allows individuals who marry into marriage to adopt their partner’s surname upon marriage. Hyphenation may also be an option – this can be useful when couples want to retain their first names while using surname. What matters is making sure the name change reflects in all areas.

As soon as you change your name, visit your local Social Security Administration office and complete all necessary paperwork. Be sure to bring a certified copy of your marriage certificate as well as identification documents (driver’s license or passport). Approximately two weeks after filing this paperwork you should receive your new SS card in the mail.

Next, update your name with the Registrar of Voters and employer. It is crucial that your name changes are registered so that you may vote and access any benefits available to you. Furthermore, notify all creditors such as banks and credit cards of your name change so as to prevent future issues with credit scores.

Final Step: Update Your Passport To Finally, it is also crucial that you update your name on your passport, especially if you plan on traveling internationally. Changing a passport takes approximately six to eight weeks; to change it you must submit a completed DS-82 form along with certified copies of marriage certificate and two 22 photos; you can find these forms either online or at local passport agencies.

Name changes after marriage can be complex and stressful processes. By choosing MissNowMrs’ experienced service, however, the process can become much less strenuous and more manageable – we promise! MissNowMrs can take away 13 hours of stress by handling all the details for you – we even provide you with a personalized checklist so you can keep track of everything as it progresses!