Does Vinegar Kill Mold?

Mold can be unsightly and toxic; it may even aggravate asthma symptoms. Large infestations should be handled by professional mold remediation services to ensure safe removal.

However, small amounts of mold can be managed using household items like vinegar – an effective corrosive that kills 82% of mold species.

How to Use

Mold (commonly referred to as mildew) can be hard to remove from hard surfaces in and around your house. It thrives in damp areas and may pose respiratory difficulties for those suffering from allergies or asthma; additionally it contributes to unpleasant odors.

Vinegar is an effective mold cleaner. As a natural product, it’s much less caustic than bleach and won’t damage surfaces like wood and drywall, while its pleasant sour smell makes it much easier to live with than the strong, caustic chemical odor of bleach.

To use vinegar to clean moldy surfaces, pour some plain white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle and liberally apply it over the affected area. Be sure to cover any surfaces not being treated in order to shield them from exposure to vinegar; allow it to sit for one hour after application so that all mold spores have been eliminated; scrub any remaining spores away with a brush or scouring pad and rinse the surface using clean water afterwards so as to eliminate its aroma.

Repeat this process as necessary until all mold has been completely eradicated, although in more serious cases scrubbing and rinsing may be necessary multiple times. Always wear protective gear such as gloves and mask to reduce direct contact with mold as well as its chemicals in vinegar.

To provide a deeper clean, combine equal parts white vinegar and water in a spray bottle and use this solution on any surface that needs attention. Leave it sit for one hour before scrubbing with a clean cloth – this will help eliminate spores while providing a fresh scent once the vinegar odor subsides.

Vinegar can effectively kill mold on non-porous surfaces like drywall and wood, though its efficacy varies when applied to porous materials like carpet and fabric. Furthermore, vinegar has the ability to corrode copper and aluminum surfaces in your home and should never be used on them directly; professional cleaners are recommended if you are experiencing widespread or severe mold growth issues in your home.

Safety Tips

Vinegar contains an acetic acid that has the power to kill most types of mold and prevent its return, yet proper use requires knowledge in order to avoid damaging surfaces or yourself during its application. When cleaning with vinegar products it’s essential that gloves, a mask, and goggles be worn at all times; this prevents spores entering your respiratory system and helps lessen skin irritation caused by its acidity.

White vinegar is one of the most efficient ways to combat mold infestation. It features mild acidity that kills 82% of species found in most grocery stores at an economical cost.

Vinegar can be safely applied to most nonporous surfaces, including drywall and concrete, without fear of damage to these materials. Furthermore, its power penetrates porous materials like wood to kill mold spores that reside underneath. However, natural stone, waxed wood or cast iron surfaces should not be exposed as direct contact may damage these.

Before beginning cleaning mold growth, it’s essential that moisture problems which led to its initial development are addressed first. Otherwise, mold will almost certainly return as soon as a surface dries off. If certain areas in your home seem especially damp, installing a dehumidifier could help speed up its drying time.

When dealing with a large mold outbreak in your home, professional remediation assistance is the way forward. They’ll have all of the experience and know-how required to tackle this problem efficiently and completely.

If you decide to remove mold yourself, keep in mind that proper cleaning and scrubbing of the area is key for preventing its return. Some forms of mold like black mold (Stachybotrys Chartarum) is highly toxic, requiring special cleanser to safely get rid of it. Mold exposure has been known to cause many health issues including eye, nose and throat irritation, skin rashes and burns as well as asthmatic reactions; so it is crucial that measures be taken as quickly and effectively as possible in order to ensure its removal in order to ensure both personal safety as well as that of loved ones in general.


Vinegar can effectively remove mold from nonporous surfaces like glass, metal and tile using its antifungal properties and strong enough acidity levels to effectively stop its growth on nonporous surfaces such as metal, tile or glass surfaces. Furthermore, vinegar contains natural disinfectants and deodorizers which work to keep mold at bay and remove odor. White vinegar is an affordable, readily-available and safe household cleaner for most surfaces. You can find it at any grocery or hardware store. Distilled white vinegar with 5% acidity is ideal for eliminating mold growth; other forms may contain acetic acid as long as its acid content meets certain specifications. Make sure that the label states full-strength vinegar when purchasing. For optimal cleaning and disinfection purposes, “cleaning vinegar” or “pure distilled vinegar” varieties contain at least 6% acetic acid which makes them more effective at killing mold than other varieties of vinegar.

However, vinegar does not possess enough acetic acid to kill all kinds of mold effectively. According to one study, 4 percent acetic acid vinegar can effectively eliminate Penicillium chrysogenum but not Aspergillus fumigatus mold; both species may lead to serious health issues including allergic reactions and respiratory problems; professional inspection will help identify differences and offer solutions if you suspect both exist in your home.

Vinegar may not be effective on porous surfaces such as fabric or carpet due to difficulty penetrating spores in these materials; therefore it may be best to replace these. If there is significant porous mold present in your home, professional remediation services are recommended in order to eliminate it safely.

Utilizing vinegar to clean up mold growth in your home is both simple and cost-effective, though you should only attempt to tackle small patches yourself as larger areas will require professional equipment and expertise for safe removal. If health concerns arise for either yourself, family, or pets, mold removal services offer free no-commitment estimates that will get the job done for you!

Side Effects

Use vinegar to safely, cost-effectively and naturally kill mold in your home for an inexpensive solution to this fungus infestation. This mild acid works well on most surfaces and is an economical alternative to more costly cleaning chemicals; find it at most grocery and hardware stores and look for white vinegar with at least 6% acetic acid content for best results.

Vinegar can be used on numerous surfaces such as wood, plastic, brick tile and drywall; however it should not be used on porous or absorbent materials like carpet and fabric as this could damage it beneath its surface. While unlikely, vinegar could potentially corrode certain metals like copper and aluminum so should not be used on sinks, pipes or any other metal fixtures.

According to research at Mississippi State University, white vinegar can successfully kill 82% of household mold species. It works by releasing oxygen that breaks down proteins and lipids within its cells – though it doesn’t eliminate all mycotoxins found in certain strains of mold such as Penicillium chrysogenum or Aspergillus fumigatus.

When dealing with large areas of mold growth, it is crucial to observe proper safety precautions. You should wear eye protection, face mask, rubber gloves and open windows and run fans in the room you are working in to provide adequate ventilation for the area you are working in. You should also wear clothing that you can dispose of afterward as a preventive measure against spreading mold spores around the house.

If there is significant mold growth in your home, it is advisable to hire a professional mold remediation service as they will have all of the equipment and training to efficiently eliminate all mold spores from being released back into the environment. Removing such large quantities on your own can be potentially hazardous and lead to further health concerns; mold remediation professionals are capable of quickly solving this problem safely.