The B.W. Raymond pocket watch is a fine example of mid-century design. This watch was made in Elgin, Illinois and features a silveroid Keystone open-face sidewinder case. The watch’s movement was considered a workhorse in its day and produces a phenomenal ticking noise. If you’re into ASMR or meditation, you’ll love this watch. There were about 74,500 of these watches made from 1874 to 1895.
The BW Raymond Elgin pocket watch features a railroad grade movement with a power reserve and wind indicator. The railroad case has gold jewel settings. The dial is in perfect condition with bold black numbers and matching 14K (0.585) yellow gold-filled case. The case is fully marked, ELGIN R. R., under the crown.
In 1864, a group of businessmen from Chicago decided to open a pocket watch factory in Illinois. Their idea was to “create a better pocket watch with a better quality”. This group of businessmen purchased an abandoned farm 30 miles outside of Chicago and began building a factory. The first pocket watch movement was called the B.W. Raymond, which was an outstanding example of the timepiece’s design. Eventually, the company was incorporated as the Elgin National Watch Company.
This pocket watch has been popular with railroaders for decades. In addition to being a great choice for railroaders, the B.W. Raymond is also a popular watch among nurses. Among its many specialties, the Elgin has several modifications designed to be more rugged and durable.
Elgin also produced high-quality watches. The company graded their watches according to their design, jeweling, and finishes. It also assigned a name to each grade level, such as B W. Raymond Elgin. This distinction is important, as it helps identify the quality level of the watch.
Elgin pocket watches were first produced in 1867. The first grade, a 15-jewel movement, was completed in April 1867. By the end of the year, the factory employed about 300 men and 200 women. During the early 1870s, the company expanded its production facility and introduced a stem-wind movement. By the end of 1873, the company was producing over 100,000 movements a year.